Video Tuesday...Who Does She Think She Is?

by - March 23, 2010

WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS? Wow...If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard that...All my life I've been seen and thought of as "weird" or "different"....when most kids were running around outside, riding their bikes, playing ball...I was in the house...drawing, sewing or making something...my mom and dad would force me to go out and play...As an adult my home doesn't look like everyone else's home, my clothes, my hair are not always the norm...the things I like to do and see are not always the usual...and it's hard going through life when you feel like no one really sees or appreciates you for who you really are...When I worked in Corporate America I dreamed about living a life where I could wear what I wanted...Do my hair the way I wanted...Oh, to paint and sew all day and not have society dictate how I must look...Then I became a mom with the freedom to dictate how I look and live or so I thought...But being a mom has only dictated another look...another lifestyle that I must live as not to embarrass my daughter or go against the norm...I say all of this to express how excited I was to find this movie...and to see that I'm not alone...Enjoy.

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. For over a year now I have been a fan of "Who do you think she is" and I fully plan on buying the documentary soon enough. I have watched all the clips and must say that I also identify with the women in the film. I have never felt like I fit in and truth be told although I have great friends none of them fully get me or share that same creative mindset. I will always be seen as a bit kooky, dreamy and scatter brained although they are quick to say I am talented. LOL The only place I have found my tribe is online... funny how I find people just like me that also live far away! Still it is comforting to know one is not crazy... ;)

    Being Caribbean my elders are dismayed that I have not followed a path tried and true which usually means something in the healthcare system. Lucky for me my Mother (a doctor) agrees with me when I say I am not cut that way.

    I've always walked to the beat of my own custom designed, blinged out drum and I am happier for it. :)
    It's nice to know you are doing the same thing, beat on Sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, thanks for sharing!

    and i hear ya...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for sharing.. This video kind of explains my life right now.. not the mother part but the finding time for my art amidst other commitments is extremely on point for me.

    And yeah, alot of people don't get me either.. sigh

    ReplyDelete

Live the life you dream about...I dare you.

Follow Me On Instagram